From the 1700s the bell of an old wooden church in Petroșani is regularly beating. A small church where services are held only three times a year, but which attracts believers and visitors alike.
This is the Sânoni Church, a name that comes from an old family from the region, the family Sin, a name that is common today to some locals. The wooden church in Lunca Jiului was built in 1790 with ash timber beams. It is dedicated to "Saints Archangel Michael and Gabriel" and is on the list of historical monuments in Romania. Sânoni Church is the oldest building in Petroșani.
According to the historical data, on the place where the small wooden church is now, there was a first church, dated from 1733, but it was set on fire by the Ottomans ( the Turkish Empire) in 1788. In the place of the ruined church, this small church was built later in the Jiu Lunca wood.
The typology of the place of worship is part of the large group of monuments of rectangular shape, with descending apse, polygonal architecture, with five sides. The archaic element of the illuminator on the east side is the one to be noticed, in the form of the keyhole, as well as the "swallow tail" which joints of the apse.
In 1872 the space of the edifice was enlarged, reaching the shape that it has today. According to historical data, the interior of the church is painted by the renowned painter Simeon Piteșteanu, who also painted the interiors of the churches in Prislop and Densus.
Nowadays there are only three religious services per year: on the second day of Easter - when the traditional “Nedeie Momârlănească” („Festivity of the Dacians’ descendents”) is also held, on the occasion of the church's dedication day of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gavril and the Whitsuntide.